Thursday, July 3, 2008

I don't get it...

Again, no follow through...couldn't even give up this blog. But anyway--

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1376290.ece

Kevin sent me this story about a 70 year old woman that just had twins (with huge pampers--check out the pic!!).

Upon reading the article, a few lines in particular jumped out at me:

Her husband, Charan Singh Panwar, 77, mortgaged his land, sold his buffalos, spent his life savings and took out a credit card loan to finance the treatment.

“At last we have a son and heir,” he said. “We prayed to God, went to saints and visited religious places to pray for an heir.

“We kept no stone unturned and God has rewarded us. The treatment cost me a fortune but the birth of a son makes it all worthwhile. I can die a happy man and a proud father.”

Ok, so you now have an heir...and have NOTHING to leave him.

You are gonna live what's left of your life in debt, with no income, and a toddler to drive you closer and closer to your grave. You asked God for this? Maybe its a cultural difference--here, we don't have kids so that we can leave things to them--we have them so they can give to us (extra tax money, gov't assistance, street credibility-you know, whatever floats your boat). Maybe I have to get older and amass some riches to understand this...or just turn Indian.

Can someone can enlighten me?

No comments: